Thursday, September 9, 2010

Bridging the gap

9-9-10 replacement brain
The spring flood of 2008 in Iowa was devastating for my hometown of Charles City, since it caused our historic suspension bridge to be swept away! This bridge was over 100 years old. It was incredible. I could hardly believe my eyes when I went home that summer over the 4th of July and saw want was left of the once graceful bridge. The concrete bases which at that time had recently been updated/redone, were about the only part which remained.



Now a new bridge is being constructed. It could never be like the historic bridge, but I’m glad to see this being replaced, since many people use this walking bridge to get across the river to the park and swimming pool. My parents sent me this picture of the progress being made on the new bridge this month. They have been working on it all summer long.



AND thanks to google I found this link with pictures of the old bridge, many taken in 2005. http://bridgehunter.com/ia/floyd/charles-city/ Click the link to view pictures.

I am also grateful for many local painters and photographers who have over the years captured the imagine of our beloved suspension bridge. Joy Frank is one of those photographers who sell calendars of the bridge with wonderful pictures throughout the different seasons. My current wall calendar of her work has this picture for the month of September.



Back in the summer of 2000, Greg and I had our picture taken by the old bridge and we used this for our Christmas card that year. Boy we look younger then, but that was 10 years ago, and Greg didn’t have as much grey hair was he does now!



I guess nothing in this physical world can last forever. We all age and pass on, including bridges eventually.... but love does last forever, and I will forever love that old suspension bridge and hold my memories of it close to my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment