Sunday, February 5, 2012

Super Sunday

2-5-12 split brain


I just finished watching Madonna on the half time show, so I have the song “Like a Prayer” singing in my brain.
I now switched over to watch a late 60 Minutes show (I believe a rerun) with Meryl Streep talking about acting and getting into someone else’s head. I always wondered how actors do that…. Becoming a new character without loosing themselves.

I was thinking about “acting” while I drove back to Des Moines this afternoon from my week in KC with Greg. As soon as I hit I-435, I feel like I have to “flip a switch” in my head. DM-Judy has to be self-supporting, strong and independent. DM-Judy reminds me of the Judy in her single days…. She can be a bit more self-absorbed, bewildered and moody.

I’ve discovered on this last trip to to see Greg that both KC-Judy and DM-Judy are equally happy, but different things about each split life makes me happy. I am usually grateful that I get to experience both, because most of the time, I feel life would be boring just being in one place. Yet last week in KC, I found myself realizing that Greg makes me a better person…. And really miss him when we are apart.

Today when I left KC it was about 46 degrees. My drive was sunny for the first two hours, then as I hit the Iowa boarder the clouds appeared and somewhere south of Osceola the snow appeared on the ground. I thought this would depress me, but actually the scenery was so pretty. When I hit Warren County the trees were lined in snow. I love that look when each dark branch of a tree is outlined with white. I was too focused on getting home to stop the car to take a picture, but think of a typical Ansil Adams black and white photo of winter in Yosemite.

Here I did take a picture of the back yard when I arrived home. The bushes appeared to be made out of cotton-candy.


When I pulled in the drive way, I was expecting I’d have to shovel the snow which fell on Saturday, but some fairy-godmother…. Or fairy-godfather had already cleared it all away. The nice thing about this surprise is that I can’t just point my finger at one person who was so nice to me….. I’m blessed with many people who are helping me navigate my crazy split life- otherwise I know I couldn’t keep this up.

So I head to bed now, not focusing on what I don’t have….. but I’m feeling blessed and grateful for what I have…. a crazy life with wonderful loving people I treasure.

Now I am humming the song “I get by with a little help from my friends”….


2 comments:

  1. The Des Moines landscape found me in awe yesterday too since we have no snow here. It is gorgeous, wet, heavy snow that sticks to everything and I was trying to grab a photo of the dark trees lines with white.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you back in print. The trip to KC fixed your heart and head.

    ReplyDelete