Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Wednesday GUEST blog

2-15-12 vacant brain
Watch out, my friend Ann, in the blue hair, is on a bit of a rant this week. I think I will just keep my mouth shut this time. ~Judy




Headline News: The Beat Goes On n’ Yes, The War Continues

What a week in music and another date to remember “where I was”.
Another pop icon died way too early. The queen of pop music, the diva of all divas died on Saturday, February 11, 2012 at the Beverly Hilton Hotel. Oh how I loved Ms. Whitney, her music n’ movies and I remember going to see her at Hilton in Ames, April 24, 1991. Her show was awesome. Rest in peace Whitney, and I’ll pray that the world remembers her gift of music and forget her demons.  (Sunday) while watching the Grammy’s, the artists will do their best to carry on, celebrate their accomplishments and send Ms. Whitney off to the Angels in style.

On Feb. 11th at 6 pm, here I was in the sweatshop, sewing mittens when the news came on, CNN breaking the news then I went to my twitter feed. Shocking!

On Thursday, June 25, 2009, I was walking into the Stoney Creek Inn in Sioux City when I heard the news of Michael Jackson’s death in Ca. Geraldo Rivera was breaking the news.

On Saturday, August 31, 1997 at about 10 pm CST, the news broke on the TV that Princess Diana died in a car crash in Paris, France. I was more than shocked, I watched the news all night and I may have saved the USA paper. She was a beautiful lady who left a great legacy for the world and her boys.

Before Diana, there was Elvis Presley, August 16th 1977. There we were, camping in Ocean City, eating breakfast about 10 am’ish and the news broke on the radio. We were all shocked! ….. 1977 was the year I graduated high school, started community college, left home and joined the Air Force …… so much in six months.

Last but not least, the law on contraceptives. From what I’ve read and heard, a requirement of Obamacare going into effect next year – all employers must provide contraceptive care and medications at no cost to women. On paper, I have a hard time understanding that the government can mandate types of coverage paid by employers, with a few exceptions to religious affiliations. Then last week, Dept of HHS announced that there will be no exceptions for religious affiliations (churches/schools/hospitals). Immediately after the announcement by HHS, the backlash came immediately, from not just the right but some on the left. Then a week later, the President came out and said something like this “we will not require religious employers to provide contraceptive care, the insurance companies will be covering it at no charge.”

Several questions comes to mind, where are they getting coverage today? I’m sure they figured out that if it’s not covered, they pay for it or go the local health clinic or county health clinic or that place called Planned Parenthood. Or perhaps, the President could of forced the pharmacies to provide it free of charge. Lastly, coverage is coverage, at the end of the day, employers are paying for the services through premiums.
Ladies, please tell me you weren’t waiting for the government to mandate a law for contraceptive coverage? Tell me you are smarter than they are? Tell me you can make your own decisions on where to get services?
Geez …  first the toilet, then the light bulb, then how much salt and sugar to eat and now, telling religious affiliates that their moral beliefs are not important and they .. big government … knows best. What happened to “separation of church and sate?”

Chat Later
That Girl, Ann Marie

1 comment:

  1. Woo hoo Ann! Could not have said it any better!!

    ReplyDelete