Thursday, August 23, 2012

GUEST Blog part 2

8-23-12


Best Damn Fair In The Land,  Iowa State Fair-  Part Two
So how do you dress for a typical summer all-day at the Fair?  Summer top and shorts, who needs a jacket or a rain slicker? Well, I guess I should of packed one. All went well from 2 till 6 pm, then the rain started and the temperature dropped from 76 to 60. We rode the Tram for 1 hour then I got smart and bought a polo shirt to cover up my chest and arms, $10 for two shirts. Food, well I outdid myself with restraint, 1 corndog and my share of a bucket of cookies. Here is a pic of Lexi, Nat and me, drakesmart sisters ’05 & ’06. Note what I’m wearing. 



We passed on the free stages to hear the music of Loverboy, Pat Benatar and Journey outside the grandstand. They were great and the best part, we got to see a lot of “take-down” action by the State Patrol. There was a “no tolerance for stupid behavior” at the Fair this year. We left at 12:15 and I was chilled to the bone, which accounted for my lack of appetite.
Sunday, I went prepared: summer dress, western boots, dress scarf and rain slicker/jacket in my bag. Here’s a funny pic of Nat and me.


We got there at 1 pm and left at midnight, walked from one end to the other, rode  the sky glider, caught the Bill Riley talent show, sat on Dad’s bench, saw some animals and got to the Barn to see the cloggers. What fun!


By 7 pm, we were ready for the two evening shows, Streetcar Symphony (runner up on the Sing Off) and at 8 pm, WAR, 1970’s Funk group. Wow, they were more than good and as you can imagine, I danced my butt off. Go home at 10 pm? Nope, we caught the music of Racal Flatts outside the grandstand, saw a few more take-downs and danced outside The Depot, leaving at midnight. 




Had another corndog, pineapple whip and tried a pickle dawg, deep fried ¼ pickle wrapped in deli ham. Well, I was not impressed, not impressed at all. By midnight, my dogs were tired, and yes … I did wear my Bozeman boots. 



Can’t tell you how much I love the sights and sounds of the Fair. Only 360 days till 2013, gotta run!
Chat Later, That Girl
Ann Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment