Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Wednesday GUEST Blog

3-7-12 happy brain
I'm glad Ann is admitting to her "madness"! Being self-aware is the first step.... but I shouldn't judge- I've got a room full of peace art ~judy 


March Madness With A Heavy Heart


Over the last 10 years, I’ve always looked forward to March for my annual DrakeSmart Europe Trip. Pre-planning my work for a 2.5 weeks absence started in December and by the time March rolled around, I am exhausted by the time I step on the plane.  Sad to say, this chapter has ended, work and financial recourses has ended my annual journey. The pre-planning and the trip is truly “madness”.


With the retirement of my good friend Joan, I will be working 10 hour days for the next two months. Last week we packed up 25 boxes of materials for the Des Moines office. I tried my best to mark the boxes, but in a hurry I’m sure it will be a while before I find that one folder, that one document and Joan’s “book of instructions”. To get a jumpstart, I worked on Sunday to un pack, sort and find a new home for all the materials. Yep, another example of March Madness.


This weekend I showed off my mittens and sweatshop to my friends and all they could say was “unbelievable”. When I look at the mittens and the mound of sweaters, I wonder if I am a bit “mad”, haha.
            

If I don’t watch my P’s and Q’s, my new obsession of shopping at the Salvation Army and Goodwill may drive me to the mad house, something may Dad would say. I was proud of myself that I only picked up 2 sweaters this weekend. Other things that I’m smitten with is picture frames and dishes -
Pfaltzgraff, corning, pyrex and corelle.  I’ve found an array of picture frames and for no good reason, frames with black n’ white photos makes me sad. I just don’t understand how someone can just give away a picture of their parents or grandparents. I found two photos taken in the 40’s or 50’s. If I find enough of these, I’ll make a room out of black and white photos. Yep, odd and a bit mad.


Last but not least, March Madness is meant for NCAA basketball. I do love watching the tournament, always rooting for the underdog. Last year, UNI knocked off a high ranked team and over the years, Iowa, Iowa State and the Drake Bulldogs have done well. But the madness extends to women’s basketball. This year, Des Moines is hosting the Regional Tournament on March 24th and 26th. Oh how my Dad would of loved going to the tournament. Well, since I’m mad already, I’ll be going to the 2-day tournament in memory of Dad. March Madness with a heavy heart.




Chat Later
That Girl, Ann Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment