Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Wednesday GUEST Blog

7-27-12 vacation brain
Enjoy hearing about Ann's vacation out west! ~Judy

Summer Road-Trippin’ – Part Three

Day Six: Yeah, we get to sit still for three nights. Let’s see, thus far 1700 miles in 26 plus hours. Geez, nothing like the open road, music and interesting conversation with my travel buddy. We arrived late Sunday night in Bozeman, Residence Inn. Can’t say enough about this chain hotel, the best value for your money (excellent hot breakfast and an evening light social hour) when you are on the road. On my to-do list: see the mountains, shop on main street, buy western boots and hat, go to a hot spring. Well happy to report, I did most everything. In Winnipeg, I bought myself a new pair of tennis shoes, Dankso style. Aren’t they cute?





Shopping on main street, a pair of vintage black western boots caught my eye. They buyer wanted $200. Ouch, so we walked on, saw a lot of neat stuff. I’m pondering on getting these boots, but not for $200, I offered $135. She came back with $140. I’m holding. Off we went to the Museum of the Rockies, the best kept secret in Bozeman.  





At the museum, I chatted with a guy named Garrett, he was a geologist working in the oil fields in ND and was on a month long vacation. Being a geologist the Museum of the Rockies was a must visit as it holds the most dinosaurs bones in America. Okay, great reason to visit and with a guided tour, I absolutely loved this museum. And wow, we saw Professor Jack Horner and saw folks forensic cleaning bones. Here’s a bit about Jack Horner him from the museum’s website. 


Jack Horner, the Museum's Curator of Paleontology, is known for his groundbreaking discoveries of the first dinosaur eggs in the Western Hemisphere, the first evidence of dinosaur colonial nesting, the first evidence of parental care among dinosaurs, and the first dinosaur embryos.
He is widely regarded as one of the world's foremost paleontologists, noted for his fieldwork and some of the best reconstructions of fossil dinosaurs ever assembled. Horner is a recipient of the MacArthur Fellowship "genius grant". He served as the technical adviser for all three of the Jurassic Park movies and is the inspiration for the movie's lead character, Dr Alan Grant. The Museum of the Rockies, as the result of Horner's continuing fieldwork, has the largest Tyrannosaurus rex collection in the world.



Day Seven: up early for the Bozeman Hot Springs and a drive to see if anyone is fly fishing. The Hot Springs was nice but very commercialized. There were 7 indoor pools and 1 outdoor. The temperature ranged from 65 to 100 degrees. So what do you do when 6 person hot springs and 1 weird looking dude comes in? Well this chica got out.





Back to main street and the boots. Yep, I got them at my price. Sweet deal for me. This matches my other cowhide boots that I got last year. Yippee Skippy! 




Then we went up to the Bridger Bowl Ski resort, and lucky us found some snow. What a nice drive to the ski area and only 15 minutes from downtown Bozeman.







I spent the rest of the day shopping, found the Goodwill and Army store. At Goodwill, I chatted with Steve who gave me a lot of information on Yellowstone. Seems like everyone in Bozeman has a connection or two to Yellowstone. He said that going to the “canyon” is a must. Did not really understand it, but wow is all I can say. I did pick up a few items for my plate project and a very cute pitcher.  

Okay, getting really excited to see Yellowstone. One final sight in Bozeman, the weekly farmers market. Nice but nothing like Des Moines. I had a great visit and Bozeman is on my “come back to see me” list.
Day 8: Get ready for Yellowstone. Look for another post on Friday. Gotta Run.


Chat Later, That Girl
Ann Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment