Wednesday, July 1, 2009

What's in your closet?


7-1-08 memory-lane brain

The oldest thing that has been hanging in my closet is this "red-white-blue vote" tank top from 1971. Yes, you heard me correctly… from the 70’s! See the date is even on the top. This might be worth something as a collector's item from the 70's?!



I have bought some vintage clothes from time to time, which I enjoy wearing on occasion, but this tank top has been mine since around 9th grade. Just to prove I’ve had this tank top for at least 35+ years, here is a picture of me wearing this.



I remember this occasion since it was on a summer trip to Chicago with my mom, sister and my “aunt” Vivian and her two kids, Melinda and JJ. It was in June 1972 and I had recently received a “going steady” ring to wear from my first boyfriend…. The infamous “Bruce”. In the picture, my sister is on the couch- far right, then me- the blond in the middle, and I don’t know who the other two kids are on the left. Melinda and JJ are sitting on the floor. We had stopped to visit some people Vivian knew. I’ll have to see if Vivian remembers this trip.

I haven’t really worn this tank top much except in college, but I never could bring myself to get rid of it. It’s in good shape, so I think I will run it through the laundry and wear it over the 4th of July. We have a “big-deal” 4th of July celebration back in my hometown. Many class reunions and family reunions are held then. I will be spending time with family and several high school friends who I only get to see this time of year. I’ll have to see if my friends from high school remember this tank top….. I can’t wait!


Silly self-portrait picture, but Greg was not here to take the picture for me.

Here is a blog challenge to others, if you want to play along….. What is the oldest thing hanging in your closet?

1 comment:

  1. The oldest thing in my closet is me.
    But I do have a pair of clogs that I had since 1977. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete