Thursday, January 22, 2009

Empty Nest




1-22-09 Right brain & heart
Wow, I can’t believe it is already January 22nd. It’s good that spring is that much closer, but sad now that it has been a month since Greg & I have been “Empty Nesters” . On December 22nd the last of our children with fur, Missy, was put to rest at age 16.

I can now relate to my sister and friends who have watched all their child head off to college, leaving them with an empty and lonely house. There are mixed emotions for sure.

I now am free of the responsibility of taking care of an elderly diabetic cat. I am free from the worry as I watched her decline and start to struggle, and I am free from the concern I had when I traveled and was away from her. Although Missy and I were blessed with the best neighbor friends who lovingly cared for her in my absence, she and I both felt better when we were together.

Of course Greg and I miss her very much, but more important is the feeling of love that we have for her….. ALWAYS.

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened”
- Anatole France

No comments:

Post a Comment