Wednesday, April 29, 2009

May comes early

4-29-09 rhubarb brain
The month of May has arrived early today…. Rhubarb reminds me of May, but on Tuesday I picked my first rhubarb out of the garden and made my first rhubarb crisp of the season.




Here is my Mom’s easy version of a rhubarb crisp that I use all the time. It’s ironic that I will post a recipe here, since I do not excel in the kitchen and I don’t have much desire to….but I have gained a reputation on my street by providing some delicious crisps at neighborhood outings.


I cut up the rhubarb, enough to fix in Pyrex bowl. I also like to add strawberries (optional). I add 1 to 1.5 cups of sugar, with 3 to 4 Tablespoons of Tapioca.... I also either add a teaspoon of lemon juice or grate some orange peel.

After that is mixed up and left to stand for 15 minutes, I just top with a box of Jiffy yellow cake mix and put about ½ stick of butter cubed on top. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.

Of course it is great with vanilla ice-cream!



I wish you could smell this through the blog… it is wonderful!
This was almost like a 4-H food demonstration!

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE rhubarb! I might try this. My rhubarb is about 1/2 that size so I'm patiently waiting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can testify that Judy's Rhubarb is excellent, tasty, not too tart and not to sweet, just like Judy. I watched her in action tonight.

    Don't let her fool you, she's a Rachel Ray in the making! Good going mom for showing her the ropes.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann- that was a good crisp I made last night, it was the second one in two days. Lori- all my healthy eating is about to take a temporary vacation in May! But one healthy way to eat Rhubarb crisp is by putting in your oatmeal!

    ReplyDelete