Friday, April 3, 2009

Ordinary time

4-3-09 uninspired and "waiting" brain
I'm been feeling stuck in ordinary time. I want to be creative again, but I haven't given myself anytime to get reconnected with that part of myself.

For instance, I don't feel like blogging today. Nothing much to say at this time.... so I'll post some past "art" and hope it reconnects me with my creative spirit soon.


This is a pastel painting I did of a friend, Karin. I've only done a few paintings of people. I don't like drawing people.... it's hard and takes a lot of practice to get people to really look accurate. What inspired me to attempt this drawing was a special moment, and I wanted to capture it for myself.

Greg and I were taking a "winter" get away trip in late January... a few years ago.....something we rarely get to do that time of the year. We went to visit Karin and her husband Mike in Arizona. However, I arrived off the plane SICK! I spent most of the visit in bed with the flu. Just before the trip ended, I did manage to get up from bed for a drive to Jerome, Arizona just north of Phoenix. It's a small mining town of old.... now evolving into an artist community to some degree. The town sits on the side of a small mountain and at the very top of the town, was this old hospital, now converted into a restaurant.

After being sick in bed for 3-4 days and now returning to the living; sitting and relaxing with good friends, enjoying the view out the window, eating some great food..... it was a magical moment for me. I was struck my the sunlight coming in through the window and the impression of Karin gazing out the window.... I insisted that I needed to take a picture of her since it captured perfectly a moment in a poem I had written recently.


"Unordinary Time"

That brief moment of inspiration.
The sky opens up
The light shines in unexpected,
…..Illuminating!

Life is different,
I am different.
Connected to everything,
…..Amazing!

I hear myself exclaim “yes!”
There is great understanding
There is revelation,
…..Wisdom!

Or is it insanity- sheer madness?
Will they laugh at me?
Snicker behind my back,
…..Doubt

The light begins to dim
They see differently than I
They force me back,
…..Down

A return to ordinary time
Me just sitting here drinking coffee,
Wondering where my mind had wandered,
…..Waiting


Judy Sebern Beachy
1-2006

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes I believe you're in the wrong 'business.' :) And I mean that as a compliment! You are so very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your whimsy poems...and that you share them! :)

    ReplyDelete