Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Shopping with Mom

4-7-09 weekend brain
Our weekend trip to my visit my parents was cut short due to the threat of blizzard conditions in northern Iowa on Sunday. We ended up moving our Saturday dinner plans up to Saturday lunch instead, as we were celebrating dad’s birthday with a special meal. Luckily, Mom and I were still able to complete our Saturday morning shopping as planned. My hometown, down from around a population of 12,000 at its peak in the late 60’s, now is only about 8,000 people, but the towns people have fun and creative ideas to entertain as well as trying to keep local business thriving. Saturday was “Chick Fest” day with around 12 businesses participating in sales and a raffle prize card if you visited all 12 shops and got your card stamped at each place.

We didn’t even attempt that, but we did shop at two of my usual stops when I am in town. Lidds Clothing store, run now by a classmate of mine after taking it over from his father’s family and a gift shop called Rustic Corner run by a gal who’s family used to farm with my grandfather.

However, our first stop on Saturday was to the Methodist Church rummage and bake sale. It was crowed with shoppers. The sale had started Friday, but today was $3.00 sack day, so what ever you could fit into a brown paper sack was one low price. Now that I am trying to clean out my house, AND really don’t need anything to speak of….I went into the sale hoping to limit my purchases.

A found a few things I couldn’t resist. This wood stand is a music box, for $2.00, I guess I’ll use as a fruit plate. I only bought it because I love music boxes.





I’m attracted to glass, thus I bought 3 of these rectangle small glass “boxes” for 50 cents each. I figured I can use them to contain my jewelry on my dresser since I need help keeping that more in order. The orange flower pin, $1.00, I was attracted to since it has a retro feel of the 60’s, and it probably did belong to someone in town during the 60’s. I do love to shop for vintage clothing and I do own some fun bright 60’s pieces, one of my favorite which I have had for a number of years is this lime green short jacket I like to wear in the summer with an orange tee-shirt underneath…. So the flower pin will go with this.


My other “had to have” purchase was some peace & love pins (made in China I'm sure).... I will enjoy giving away to friends. I found those at the Rustic Corner gift shop. Oh and yes, I did buy a light weight hoodie and teal colored top for spring at Lidds’ (Columbia brand)…. 20% off.







I also want to report that dad is doing well and hoping for warmer weather soon, so he can get out and walk more. AND YES, we did get blowing snow on Sunday!
PEACE OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment