Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Making Decisions

1-6-10 decisive brain

Life forces us to make decisions daily. What to wear, what to eat, what to spend our time on each day. Or BIG decisions like "what should I do with the rest of my life?"

The last few days I’ve been thinking about “decision making”, in some respects due to New Years, and because I've been thinking about my goals for 2010.

One technique I’ve learned to use to help with decision making is to visual the decision being made……

If it is a choice between doing A or B, I pretend that I pick A, and I then think about how that feels. Am I relieved? Am I happy?…. Or do I feel tense and still confused? Then I do the opposite and pretend that I made the choice of B…. and go through the same process of noticing how that feels to me.

Making a list of pros and cons can work also, but I really like pretending that I‘ve made a decision and see if I experience a sense of relief and a sense of peace about my choice.

For example, in November I decided to try to live without my 100 or so channels on cable TV. We don’t have cable at the KC house, so I figured I really didn’t need it in Des Moines either. Most of anything I might watch on TV, which isn’t much, I can see on network TV or the Internet.

I can report, that I haven’t missed cable TV at all….. AND I also love saving the $30 to $40 a month too.

More decision making tomorrow......

1 comment:

  1. Judy,
    I do this very same thing when faced with bigger decisions. And life lessons give us a peek into how our decisions will unfold.

    ReplyDelete