Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Loving what is


2-11-09 surrendering brain

I've come across an interesting book a few months ago: "Loving What Is" by Byron Katie.

This book deals with the power that our THOUGHTS have over us. Quote: "we are disturbed not by what happens to us, but by our thoughts about what happens"......... "When we believe our thoughts instead of what is really true for us, we experience the kinds of emotional distress that we call suffering".


The section of the book I love the most is called- Staying in Your Own Business. The author explains..... "there are only three kinds of business in the universe; mine, your, and God's. Much of our stress comes from mentally living out of our own business".


The author says if you are worried about war, floods or earthquakes or when you will die, then you are in God's business. If you are in other's business you are trying to tell others what is best for their life, and that's pure arrogance to think you know what is best for another person.

Give this challenge a try: the next time you are feeling stressed, ask yourself whose business are you in mentally? Chances will be that you are not in your own business.
I come from a long line of "worriers".... my Grandmother on my father's side seemed to worry about everything (that's my memory anyway).... she especially worried about storms and lightening (God's business).... however I was told she and my father had a close call with a ball of lightening coming through their window once. My Aunt JoAnne also seemed to be a worrier like her mother, and I can see this same trait now in my sister.
I have to admit from time to time I can tend to get myself in God's business as well. One of my favorite Bible verses as a child was Matthew 6: 25 "Do not be anxious about your life, what you shall eat or what you shall drink, nor about your body, what you shall put on......Look at the birds of the air; they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your Creator feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?"
I think during this time of "economic uncertainty"....... remembering to stay out of God's business will be a good habit to practice!




1 comment: