Thursday, May 7, 2009

Fun last Thursday evening!

5-7-09 Silly brain


Amy and her husband moved onto the street in 1997, four years after Greg and I. Amy was a young mother in her early twenty’s back then, with a toddler son. Shortly after they moved to Iowa from Georgia, Amy found out she was expecting twin boys. Two years later came boy number 4!

I am one of Amy’s biggest fans. Amy is fun, beautiful, and creative, with a wonderful spirit. She also makes being a mother look easy, although I do know she struggles at times.

I’m blessed to have many interesting, kind, and fun neighbors on my street in Des Moines like Amy. We range in age from mid 20’s up to 70. The women of the street enjoy spending time together and started the tradition of “Allison Avenue Ladies Night Out” at some point around 1995 or 1996. We first just would go out to a local restaurant a few times a year, just to have dinner together. Over the years our “nights out” have been varied and included things like Silpada Jewelry parties, Pampered Chef Parties or Tastefully Simple cooking parties. Not to mention our other annual family events we do throughout the year.

Last Thursday, my adorable neighbor AMY, set the bar high. She threw one of the most memorable events for the Allison Avenue ladies. This was an “Oscar Party” she and her husband had won in a charity silent auction.


I wasn’t sure by the invitation what the dress code would be, so I emailed Amy to ask her what we were suppose wear. She said she was wearing an old prom dress, and hoped others would dress up for fun, but anything was appropriate. I told neighbor Carolyn, who like me, also likes to dress up for Halloween, that we should find something fun to wear. So we did, to everyone’s surprise! Carolyn was Audrey Hepburn like character and I went as a Marilyn Monroe- or an aging star/cougar type character.

I’m not going to be able to live this down…. Every time I walk down the street this week, I’m being called “Marilyn”…. Thanks Amy for a fun night with wonderful food and drink! It was too much silly fun for a Thursday night!

3 comments:

  1. You are a cougar and should I say "a hot mama cougar" and now I see the connection to Meg Ryan. Have a nice weekend in KC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg Ryan it is Ann..... now who should play the role of Greg??

    ReplyDelete
  3. For Greg, how about Robert Downey Jr. They could be twins. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete