Thursday, December 3, 2009

Blogging by the numbers

12-3-09 contemplative brain
My friends Steve and Vanni, who live in Alaska, asked me this week, via email…”How much time does it take you per week to create your blog?” I took this as a simple, innocent question…. But now I’m wondering…. were they really, in their wisdom, asking me to re-examine my priorities and are they pushing me to evaluate if I am using my time wisely?

I agree, I do need to ponder this question further. I estimate, at the minimum, I take 15 to 30 minutes a day. Other times, to get the pictures loaded off my camera and adjusted perfectly, it might take me up to 60 minutes a day.

I do find enjoyment with blogging (usually), and there is an element of creativity…. However, would I best be served by putting this time into my actual ART projects?

Yet, I’ve grown to love the blogging community out there floating in the vast Internet space. I have connected with people I never would have known otherwise. Also, there is a whole spectrum of art blogging sites which I find very interesting, and I want to be a part of this.

Looking at this from a purely mathematical brain; 295 blog entries at an average time of 30 minutes equals 147.5 hours which is at the minimum 6.14 days out of my year so far at blogging… hummmmmm….. Interesting numbers to ponder!

PS: This is probably close to the amount of time I spend driving between Des Moines and Kansas City. Too bad I can't blog in the car.

9 comments:

  1. You actually COULD blog in the car if you had a phone with internet capabilities. You can set up the blogger post by email and its pretty nifty. I've used it once or twice. But I did it from home to try it.

    I would MUCH rather be blogging than sitting on my behind watching TV. I need to figure out what's in my mind and heart rather than consuming other opinions and trash on TV. And 6 hours, that's pretty good for an annual total. I doubt I spend an hour a day with posts, but I might spend that much reading other blogs :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! you are so right Lori.... reading other blogs can also be time consuming. I also agree with you that I don't seem to watch much TV these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok I am the black vs white member of the family you are the over thinker of the family. Either you continue the blog or you dont. Just make up your mind and go with it. Trust your gut....
    Love you lots,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan,
    It’s my nature to analyze and scrutinize myself. AND you are NOT the black sheep.... you did things by the "book".... married, kids, nurturing..... I think I'm the rebel of the family. It was by the Grace of God that I even got married.... and look at the type of marriage I have now! You are "normal" compared to me. but I embrace being different.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you can't get other things done because you're blogging then, yes, you need to stop or cut back. It doesn't matter how much time you spend blogging if that's what you like to do. I blog for my family, no one else, so I never really worry about whether I should or shouldn't do it. Judy, you need to take a long, hot soak and quit thinking so hard! :) love and peace -r

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's obvious to me that I need to cut back. Who ever said I have to blog daily?... I guess I was just trying to keep up with Renee and Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Read Jan's note again, I don't think she meant black sheep

    ReplyDelete
  8. well, I actually will miss your posts :(
    i really think you need to blog as an outlet to all that creativity inside your head otherwise you might explode!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Molly, you are correct... I talked to Jan on the phone!

    ReplyDelete