Tuesday, December 1, 2009

WHY? Split-in-Two

12-1-09 logical brain
Today I am responding to a blog challenge called “How I named my blog”… from Ruth at synch-ro-ni-zing.

Today marks my 294th blog entry since the beginning in mid January of this year. I started my blog then with the encouragement of Lori and Renee, two co-worker friends who had started blogs.

The reason I decided to start this electronic diary was to tract my upcoming year, which in January, looked like it was headed to be a memorable year, marked with change and a move to Kansas City. I know from past experience, journaling is a helpful way to deal with emotions and self examination can be healthy.

At that time, a move to Kansas City was a somber consideration for me, since I loved my life in Iowa, although there were also things to love about Kansas City. I definitely experienced a pull in two directions, thus “split-in-two” was my verbalization of these feelings.

As I began to create my blog, I also realized that all along, in many ways, I have always been “split-in-two”…. As you can see by my description of myself on my right side bar.

My life in many ways is divided between right brain activities of art and creativity while at the same time my focus in school was on math and science, and my research work is left brain activity. So I truly view myself as two parts of a whole. Each side of my brain demands attention and thus a struggle for balance is a constant. Thus the story of my daily life is examined and reflected upon in this blog.

Along the way, family and friends began to follow my postings so they can either stay updated with my life, can be entertained, or perhaps are inclined to think further about their own daily lives by peeking into my split life.

My blog has served its purpose for me in 2009; my split life is now my new normal and I have successfully dealt with my emotions concerning this all. (I think) So this month of December 2009, I am now pondering if my blog may need to evolve into something different in 2010….. or if am I ready to stop writing altogether?

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful!

    You are a perfect example of what my poetry mentor tells graduating students, that they should move away, at least for a while, to learn something about themselves.

    Also, you are one of those fortunate ones who has strengths in the art of words and in math and science. How I envy you. Many of my advisees can claim that advantage too, and I admire it a lot.

    I hope you won't stop writing. As you say, there may be a different path that you would find meaningful if you feel this space has filled its purpose. Just like shampoo stops doing its thing after a while and you need to change it to give your hair life again, maybe you'll find a new outlet.

    Thank you so much for participating, Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ruth,
    Your challenge came at a perfect time for me, causing me to reflect upon my blog’s beginning, and upon my blog’s future. I don’t know how I stumbled upon your blog months ago, but so glad to have been inspired by your words and your pictures this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be split in two, with two strong sides; could you hope for anything better?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting. My right brain enjoyed your flow of words and my left the logic behind your explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very much enjoying my visit around blog land today. The introspective vision of your life and experience is making me wonder if I need to be more reflective of my own life on my blog, but it's all too muddled in my head. I would struggle to find the place to start and I would rather keep on doing my poems. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow judy, new people commenting. you are branching out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you need some topics let me know. :)
    Keep blogging. Mom and dad would miss the blog and so would I.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Judy, I'm sorry I haven't visited in a long time. I think I just got overwhelmed by all the blogs I was following. I had forgotten how much you make me think. Please don't stop writing, but do let it evolve if that's what feels right to you.

    I enjoyed reading this post, and you presented it in a "logical brain" manner. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete