Monday, December 7, 2009

Pearl Harbor Day

12-7-09 happy brain
It might seem weird to have a "happy" brain today, since Pearl Harbor Day is a time we remember with sadness, however for ME, it also represents a wonderful day.

December 7th 1990, was the day I first was introduced to Greg by a secretary at the VA Hospital, where I was working on and off, for my job of data collection for the State Cancer Registry.

Greg and I had first seen each other a few weeks prior at a coffee and cookie retirement party during break time, which the secretaries at the VA had insisted I attend with them. The story goes, that Greg saw me, then started working the secretary network to find out who I was. When I saw him that day, I thought he was cute, but I was too shy to go up and talk to him then.

That day of December 7th 1990 we had lunch together, which was followed by an invitation to a weekend matinee movie. This first movie was "Home Alone".... I was drawn to Greg by the fact he laughed out loud so easily at this movie. Greg's silly sense of humor made me laugh too. I'll never forget the " happy puppy" impersonation which followed in January.

The strange thing is that we dated for 3 months, then Greg's job moved him to Omaha, which is two hours west of Des Moines. Yes, our courtship was conducted long distant in two cities. (sounds familiar?) We spent every night on the phone, just like we do now and our work weeks could be focused on ourselves, with our weekends focused on each other. So our split life style really isn't new to us.

On December 7th 1991, we were engaged.... and 10 months later we were married and my life has never been dull *married to Greg.

For example: this weekend, in my wildest dreams, I would not think to ride in a Miata parade with 13 other cars, with tops down, though the beautifully lit Plaza area of Kansas City in December, with temperatures in the 20's. This Miata car club in KC is a group of wild baby-boomers! I guess we fit in just fine, thanks to me the boomer, and Greg the Miata owner.



*NOTE: Six months after we were married, Greg was able to return to Des Moines and we actually lived together in our current Des Moines home happily until this whole Kansas City opportunity arose.

PS: Christmas Music Score Card:
4 for Sleigh Ride, 1 for that "Shoe" song Molly and I love to hate!

No comments:

Post a Comment