Thursday, February 17, 2011

Quoting Tom Brokaw

2-17-11 listening brain
When I was in the art room Monday night, I found an 4 inch slip of newspaper clipping, which had fallen behind a shelf. There is no year one this, but I can see why I saved this quote from Tom Brokaw.

"The long lesson? It is not enough to wire the world if you short-circuit the soul. It is not enough to identify the gene that predetermines the prospect of Alzheimer's disease if we go through the prime of life with a closed mind. No piece of software, no server or search engine will offer you the irreplaceable rewards of a living; personal relationship, the strengths and comfort of a real community of shared values and common dreams, and moral underpinning of a life lived well, regardless of financial scorecard."

3 comments:

  1. Great quote Judy. I might need to put that in my archives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like it is from Tom Brokaw's commencement address at the College of Santa Fe in 1999, if my Google searches prove accurate. It was captured in a book called "Why freedom matters: the spirit of the Declaration of Independence in prose"

    http://www.amazon.com/Why-Freedom-Matters-Declaration-Independence/dp/0761131655

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Tom Brokaw and still miss him on Nightly News. I love Brian Williams, too, though. He was a great replacement for the venerable Mr. Brokaw.

    ReplyDelete