Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Vacation report: part 3 of several

vacation brain, who cares what day of the week it is....

A few of my favorite pictures from the 4th of July Parade in Charles City, Iowa.

I had to take over Dad's role of chair-placer again this year, like last... because Dad was in the parade again this year. The parade is at 10:30 AM, and I arrived about 8:45 AM and just barley got our usual spot.



Do you know of any other town where people put their chairs out early, and then go back home until about 10:00 AM? I was thinking Main Street looked like the "rapture" had occurred. Greg and I decided to stay downtown and we went and sat in the shade over in the park for awhile.

So Dad was on a "Honor Flight float" (say that fast three times).... He is in the red hat up front, waving.



Another highlight for me, the Governor of Iowa was in our Parade, and I shouted "Governor over here".... and he came up and shook our hands. It's an election year!


I was smart and took an umbrella to provide shade for Mom and I.


So it was a good parade with the usual: marching band, horses, over sized animals, farm equipment....



and political candidates... one being my high school friend Jean Ann's husband Doug, who is running for county supervisor position. Here is Jean Ann handing out flyer's for Doug. If I had not arrived home so worn out Friday night, I would helped, and have walked the parade with her.

6 comments:

  1. I love the main street picture with the chairs. And the touch of the flag in the corner :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The empty chairs on main street is actually a very eerie photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the umbrellas was smart and having ur mom hold it was even smarter! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made Mom hold the umbrella while I took our picture... but we did take turns.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judy, you probably don't remember my Memorial Day parade/hometown post, but we have a parade just like that. Loved the pictures.

    http://www.ironton-ohio.com/memorial-day-parade.htm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Susan I do remember, and I did think the same about your parade pictures... that it looked like my hometown parade :)

    ReplyDelete