Thursday, July 15, 2010

Vacation report: part 5 of several

worn out vacation brain
Slow progress is being made in the basement cleaning project. I didn’t know were to start, so first I cleared a corner, swept with a broom, then shop vac'ed, then got down on my hands and knees to scrub the cement floor with pine sol cleaner.

After rising several times, I got out my steamer mop.... I can't wait until the whole floor is steamed clean.

Next, I cleaned off one shelving unit and dismantled and carried it up into the backyard to hose it off. Then, I set the clean shelf back on the small clean section of the floor and starting dusting off boxes, throwing out some, and putting some back on the clean shelf.

The work was good therapy, as I was starting to calm down about the Charles City School Board's decision to tear down the neighborhood school which I attended grades K-12..... but then I found myself getting pissed off at..... Greg... my husband.

Here I am busting my buns to clean, and he is not helping, he is back at work. He conveniently chose a few important boxes to take to the KC house, and the rest of the accumulation from 17 years of marriage is left for me to deal with.

This is not feeling very "equal" in our otherwise good partnership of a marriage. But, I guess either way, if I want to sell the house and move to KC, or stay in Des Moines.... this basement needs to be cleaned. I just am going to have to buck up and do it! However, it's obvious the 3 days will not be enough to finish this project.

Here shows some progress on the one side:

3 comments:

  1. It was a sad day when they tore down our K-12 school in Green Mountain, but we knew there was no one who could keep it up to code, maintenance it or pay for costly repairs as needed. Now we realize the memories aren't in the building, they are in all of us who attended there. Seeing the building gone doesn't take away our memories. And I have some brick from the school lining my flower beds :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's a huge difference! Doesn't it make you feel good to get at least part of it out of the way? I did that to my basement in the early spring and made a place for the grandkids to play and get them out from under my feet.

    When people come to look at your house, they will exclaim over how clean and orderly the basement is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't get to finish it all.... but the progress is wonderful feeling.

    ReplyDelete