Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Wednesday GUEST Blog

6-22-11 no-brainer
Ann's filling in for me again. Thanks!

Guilty Pleasure


Several months ago I was talking to Judy about “what’s your guilty pleasure”? I forgot what our responses were but from time to time I do ask myself this same question.

First let’s define what I mean by “guilty pleasure”. For me, it’s something that I don’t often do and when done, satisfies my body and soul. My answer would be traveling and more specifically, traveling to Europe. One of these days, I’ll write more but the short and long, I’ve gone eight times to Europe, 2003-2010, with Drake University MPA program aka “drakesmart”. And if you’re been reading Judy’s blog for a while, that’s where I met Judy and Greg (2005).

Of the many countries, cities and “vistas” I’ve seen, Paris is on the top of my list. My guilty pleasure has taken me to Paris in 2005, 2007 and 2010. Each time, I see something different and always wanting more. Last weekend, I went to the movie “Midnight In Paris” two times in two days. See what I mean, my guilty pleasure is

I love Paris. Here’s a picture of Sacre’ Coeur at night.


On full disclosure, I’m not a Woody Allen fan and any movie with Woody Allen usually stops me. But insert Paris and I had to go. The first 5 minutes of the movie shows the sights of Paris, one after another, after another. Simply breathtaking and I’ll share with you a few of my memories of Paris. Here’s a picture of Paris from the top of the Eiffel Tower.


In 2005, Paris was our last stop, Dublin to Paris, which was a treat as we were there for 4 days. From the minute we rolled in on the “green machine” (Friday night) we were on the go, from the Eiffel Tower to The Palace of Versailles. My running buddies on this leg of the trip were Nat and Lexi Clark, twin MBA students who I love to pieces. Here’s a picture of the Palace of Versailles.


In 2007, Paris was our second stop, London to Madrid, with only 2 days in the city. And as usual, it was cold and I missed my running buddies Nat, Lexi and Judy.


In 2010, Paris was on the tail end of the trip, Copenhagen to London and wow, what a trip for so many reasons, mostly for the friends I traveled with (which I will write about later). I made the most of this trip with a lot of walking from sun-up to sundown. And much like the movie “Midnight in Paris” the city is busy in the day and vibrant and full of life in the evening. One of the things on my to-do list was to sit and watch the lights of the Eiffel Tower twinkle at midnight. So a group of us brought some treats, beverages and music and sat on the grassy knoll across the river and watched the spectacular light show listening to Lady Gaga. Here’s a picture of the evening. Did I tell say, best time of my life?



Words cannot describe how magical that evening was, made possible by running buddies Sara, Mike and Jake. And like Owen Wilson, I too would love to go back in time and live in Paris. So if you have not seen the movie, what are you waiting for?


Judy and I give “Midnight In Paris” two thumbs up. So, what’s your guilty pleasure?

Chat Later,
That Girl, Ann Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment