Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Wednesday Guest Blog

6-1-11 spring into summer brain
As I am in the middle of my cleaning project, I appreciate again, Ann writing a Guest Blog.... this not only saves me some time, but I also enjoy reading her researched and referenced articles. Greg, I and Ann visited the WW I museum in KC a few years ago. This is a great place to tour and this is where I first learned of the "poppy poem".  - Judy

Buddy Poppy, “In Flanders Field” and Flanders Field Cemetery


How many of you know that the paper poppy flower that is sold in May has a name and is trademarked? I’ll be the first one to say no I did not know that. The poppy is named Buddy Poppy and it was trademarked by the Veteran of Foreign Wars in 1924. The flowers are made by veterans and used to support needy veterans.

The symbolism of the poppy flower goes back to the poem titled “In Flanders Field”. I could write several pages on this, but I am working hard to keep my articles to 500 words. Thus, I’ll put some links on this post and I’ll apologize ahead of time to marine due John and Jean as I know you do not have access to the links. The poem is titled In Flander's Field



In Flanders Fields the poppies blow,
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky,

The larks, still bravely singing, fly,
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the dead.
Short days ago,
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved and now we lie,
In Flanders Fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe
To you, from failing hands, we throw,
The torch, be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us, who die,
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow,
In Flanders Fields.  
        -Written by John McCrae,

McCrae was a Canadian surgeon in WW1, who wrote this poem in 1915 as he grieved over the hundreds of graves of soldiers amongst the fields of the blooming red flowers on the battlefields of Belgium. The poem had a profound impact on two American women who established the sale of poppies in the USA in 1920. Proceeds from the first sale went to the American and French Children’s League.

Read more here. http://www.va.gov/opa/vetsday/flanders.asp
 http://www.vfw.org/Community/Buddy-Poppy/http://www.cal-mum.com/poppy.htm
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6BlOkpdkg8&feature=related

http://treasuretroveblog.com/2010/11/11/field-of-treasure/

Here’s some information about Flanders Field Cemetery from the American Battle Monument Cemetery website: (http://www.abmc.gov/cemeteries/cemeteries/ff.php)

The Flanders Field American Cemetery and Memorial in Belgium occupies a 6.2-acre site. Masses of graceful trees and shrubbery frame the burial area and screen it from passing traffic. At the ends of the paths leading to three of the corners of the cemetery are circular retreats, with benches and urns. At this peaceful site rest 368 of our military dead, most of whom gave their lives in liberating the soil of Belgium in World War I. Their headstones are aligned in four symmetrical areas around the white stone chapel that stands in the center of the cemetery.





As a veteran and one that received and is still receiving services from the VA, I applaud those who continue the tradition of selling Buddy Poppies. As well as those who support local and national veteran’s organizations and patronize military cemeteries. I am proud of my service in the United States Air Force , and yours too, marine dude John Sebern.

Chat Later
That Girl, Ann Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment