Friday, September 4, 2009

More music memories

9-3-09 reminiscing brain
It was fun to have several comments from others on yesterday’s blog sharing favorite first owned songs.

I started thinking how music has played such an important part in my life growing up. These thoughts also came to me in August, as I listened to NPR story about 40th Anniversary of Woodstock. I was only 13 at that time, but I do have strong memories and connection with the music from that event.

My first music awareness was as a child when my Dad would play some classical music on his stereo. My favorite was Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture.

I got my first transistor radio around age 11.

I misspoke yesterday when I said I only owned 45s single records until college. I actually owned ALL the albums of the Monkee’s when I was in 5th and 6th grade and had them displayed as a shrine in my bedroom……That along with Tiger Beat Magazine pictures on my walls. (I believe I still have some of those magazine laying around…. I’ll have to look again in my closets)

My very first concert was in 8th grade with friend Becky who had older sisters to drive us over to Mason City, at the community college 30 miles away. We saw Jim Croce and the Carpenters! Croce wasn’t too famous then, but the Carpenters were, and we stayed after the show and got all their autographs. (I believe I still have the piece of paper too…. I’ll have to verify that. I think I know where I kept it all these years- that’s for another blog)

My first really BIG outdoor concert happened the summer of 1974, after I graduated from high school. I guess I was old enough to get to attend a concert 3 hours away in Davenport Iowa with my boyfriend Bruce. It was suppose to be a double date, but his friend Dave at the last minute didn’t bring his girlfriend, so the three of us went in Bruce’s car.

This was a day long outdoors concert and the acts I remember the most were Lynyrd Skynyrd (“Sweet Home Alabama” was popular) and Eric Clapton ( “I Shot the Sheriff” was popular song). This was my first experience turning down pot which was offered to me. I was still a “good girl” then, no drinking or smoking for me. As it turned out, my two companions were not so good and they didn’t refuse the offerings. They being a bit wasted and sleepy….I ended up being the one to drive us home late that night. I was a little PO’ed with them, but proud of myself for not getting lost in the dark.

Music was a common bond for Greg and I when we met in 1990. We both loved the music of the 80’s! At that time we had two CD’s in common; Joe Jackson and Steve Winwood. Now we own hundreds of CD’s and several iPods full of music.

Probably the band I've seen most in concert was REO Speedwagon. My favorite? That would be hard to pick. Probably a concert by Peter Himmelman, which actually might also be who I've seen the most in concert. Greg and I became fans in 1992 and helped start his Fan Club with Ellen from New Jersy and Pam from Chicago. Peter Himmelman is a talented songwritter, artist, and funny guy! I'm still a huge fan!

Himmelman has a great website now and gives concerts online every Tuesday night.
http://www.peterhimmelman.com/home.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Himmelman

4 comments:

  1. I forgot about all of my mom's albums, we used to play when we'd clean or just relax. Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass, Steve & Edie Gourmet, Barbra Streisand's album, My name is Barbra! Oh, great memories. I think my mom still has these. I saw Steve Winwood in concert in Calif and also Bruce Hornsby and the Range. Great musicians. Great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great memories! you are too funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my parents had Herb Albert record too which had on the cover, the lady with whip cream. I liked it so much I have bought this on CD. Parents also had "West Side Story" and the "Music Man"... we listen to those a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it when Judy goes down memory lane. You should run a this and taht store w/ all your stuff from back in the days.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete