Thursday, September 3, 2009

More music

9-3-09 music brain
My friend Ann recently gave me a CD of Michael Jackson’s greatest hits. I’ve been listening to it quite a bit over the last few weeks. I especially enjoy the several Jackson 5 songs that are included on this CD.

These songs bring back memories of Jr. High. I loved dancing, but was a shy geeky wall flower back then at the school dances. Now, given the chance, I’ll be the first one out on the dance floor!

I went looking in the closet and found my old records. I owned the single 45’s back then and had several of the Jackson 5 records. I didn’t progress to albums until college. Singles were less an a dollar back then.

Did anyone else have a storage box like this?



These are some of the other songs in my collection from back then.
Do they bring back memories for anyone else?






I Want You Back: Jackson 5
I’ll Be There: Jackson 5
The Love you Save: Jackson 5
ABC: Jackson 5
Ben: Michael Jackson
Julie, Do Ya Love Me: Bobby Sherman
Little Woman: Bobby Sherman
The Letter: The Box Tops
Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye: Steam
We’ve Only Just Begun: Carpenters
Pleasant Valley Sunday: Monkees
Why Don’t You Write Me: Simon & Garfunkel
I Think I Love You: Partridge Family
I Saw her Again: Mamas & the Papas
Come Together/Something: Beatles (I like both sides!)
The Long and Winding Road: Beatles
It Don’t Matter to Me: Bread
I Saw the Light: Todd Rundgren
Last Night I Didn’t Get to Sleep at All: The 5th Dimension
Cray Me a River: Joe Cocker
In the Summertime: Mungo Jerry
American Pie: Don McLean



I was remembering how I would play those singles over and over again and again. I bet my parents got sick of hearing the same song again and again when I bought I new one I liked…… so different from today with the iPod’s. Parents have no idea what their kids are listening to!

4 comments:

  1. oh wow! this really stirred memories in me! I'll have to do a post about it. My 45 holder was one of those round cases with the handle on top - hot pink! Thanks for the memories...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I had an indexed pink box of >100 singles! They each had a label on them corresponding to a list and I could easily find which record I wanted by the number. Funny how that turned into a data management career! Ha. I've looked and looked at garage sales and second hand stores as my pink box of 45s got handed-down to my cousin who has no idea where it is. :( I recognize a lot of your tunes! My first song in my list was Daughter of Darkness by Tom Jones. I also had Build Me Up Buttercup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH Lori! I too love the song "Buid Me Up Buttercup". It reminds me of 7th grade. But I never owned that one, I think my girlfriend back then did own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a collector Judy and you too Renee. Before 1968, no records...we were lucky to have elec back in Trinidad. However, my mom worked at a record store in the 70's and she did bring a few albums home from time to time. My first record that I bought for myself was Angie..by Rod Stewart.

    ReplyDelete