Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Garden additions

6-22-10 nature brain
So as we relaxed this weekend, some time was spent outdoors. I am happy to report that on Saturday, there was actually a complete 24 hour period where no rain fell.
We enjoyed Saturday evening dinner out with old friends Doug and Joan (Doug was Greg's first boss in Des Moines)... and afterwards relaxed on the back yard patio. It was very pleasant out, as well as Sunday, it was only 78 degrees and felt cool enough to have the air conditioner off for the day.

Saturday late morning, after walking to Chefs for breakfast, our neighbor was having a yard sale, where I purchased a bowl for 50 cents. I added this to my garden as a small bird bath.




Later Sunday when I was out in the garden, I picked some flowers to add to the fence display. This wire rack I've had, so I just used some old jars.



I spotted my first morning glory blossom, and then was frustrated that the bugs are beginning to eat the hostas, as usual.... Then I was amused that I found a heart shaped image in one hosta.... thanks bugs, whoever you are!

9 comments:

  1. Hi Judy - Love your fence display! So cute and in threes! Ha Ha Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kelley... you are rubbing off on me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the flowers look so sweet in the jars!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The yard is looking good, love the flower display

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything is growing so BIG this year, due to all our rain. Good for growing corn I guess here in Iowa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that idea for the fence, too! Very nice, and so is that bowl. What a score for a half dollar! Are those slugs leaving their love for you on the hostas?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I assume slugs... I do try to use some slug killer, but with all this rain, I'm not sure I am keep up with it all. Any recommendations Susan?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you have any yogurt cups (or any other container of that relative size) that you can wash out? Dig a hole near your hostas just deep enough to accomodate the cup and so it's level with the ground. Stick the cup in there and fill with beer (Bud Lite Lime?) and they will crawl in there and drown. What a way to go, eh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard using beer before... I'll give it a try. I can "kill" two birds with one stone. More lime colored cans for art, and kill snails too!
    Awesome!

    ReplyDelete