Friday, June 5, 2009

Church Art


6-5-09 inspired brain
Still speaking again of Art today, Pentecost Sunday was last week at church. Pentecost is the festival that marks the birth of the Christian church by the power of the Holy Spirit. This is one of my favorite church days since it’s all about "spirit” (holy spirit, advocate, spirit of truth)….. Something I strongly believe in, experience and use when I am creating art.

I am amazed at those times when a poem seems to be placed in my brain fully intact, and the words flow through me, not from me. I remember the exact first time (in 1998) when I, as an inexperienced art student, felt a shift in my brain while working on a piece. Before, I would be using my intellect, mental power, while I painted…. After, I now feel a spirit guiding me. This sounds weird I know, but it’s hard to explain with words.

In 2003, my church challenged a few of us artists, who were members, to create some symbols for Pentecost. At my church, Westminster Presbyterian, we have a strong Fine Arts Programs which includes music, drama and the visual arts. I enjoyed working on the piece called “FIRE” since it was different than anything I had done before. This is four foot high and made from a woodwork cutout. Here was my description below from the church program.



FIRE- Tongues of fire, drawn like water pouring out from the cross is an interpretation of the Scripture..."I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh...." The cross symbolizes God, the source of the Spirit. The cross is green to reflect the spring season of newness and rebirth. Confetti (balloons, streamers and music notes) are embedded in the paint of the cross to remind us of the celebration of Pentecost.

1 comment:

  1. This is very cool. Your imagination inspires me. Maybe it is the Spirit of inspiration! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete