Monday, June 29, 2009

Weekend Report


6-29-09 narrative brain
Friday night my friend Ann and I were volunteers again this year for the Drake University water/pop beverage booth down at the big Des Moines Art Festival. It turned out to be a beautiful evening, a bit cooler than it has been, so the event was packed with people. Our shift was from 4:30 to 7:30PM, so after we hung out eating, looking at the art, and enjoyed the free concert with Gavin DeGraw. I didn’t get home until 10:30 and for some reason wasn’t ready for bed until close to midnight.

I woke up at 5:15AM on Saturday morning… very strange for me, since I like to sleep, but this week I have been out of bed early for 6 straight days. I think it’s the extreme sunlight this time of year. I’ve calculated that there is at least 6 more hours of sunlight now than what we have in the winter. So it’s only right that I’m affected by this, since in the winter I need to sleep at least 9 to 10 hours per night.

Anyway, I laid in bed a bit longer, but was out filling the bird feeders around 7:00AM, and discovered it was actually very pleasant out- only 72 degrees instead of 90. I ended up doing some weeding in the back yard, then off to the Beaverdale Garden Tour by 9:00AM. This was so much fun. Greg and I had done this a few years ago on our bikes and found this is the way to go. So this year I rode my bike again to the six houses on the tour, all within a 2-3 mile radius from our house. At one house I learned about rain barrels and met the local guy who is making and selling them. I’ve wanted to get one for several years, so this will finally be doable, since I can just get one down at his Beaverdale shop. At another house they were demonstrating how to make a water garden. Garden tours are always very inspiring to me.

Although I'm not a master gardener, some year maybe I’ll be brave enough to have my garden on the tour…. Someday when I have more time to weed on a more regular basis. Maybe I can create some outdoor art and feature this in my garden. My friend Kelley has recently added some “art” in her garden done by a local artist. Kelley is always encouraging saying…. “Judy you could do this!” Sure I could, I just need to clone myself. Maybe I can become “split in four”, and get twice as much done.

Continued tomorrow……

1 comment:

  1. Split in four is not a bad idea. The garden tour sounded fun. And to boot, I would love to learn about water gardens. Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete