Thursday, October 29, 2009

Born in the USA

10-29-09 still thinking Springsteen brain
Back in 2006 our cat Buster died, this was around the time the news was breaking about the tainted cat and dog food from China. The cat food we had been using, Science Diet, was on the list of effected food. It’s interesting to note that about 6 months earlier my Vet had stopped carrying that brand without explanation. So I sought it out at another store.

I can’t prove that Buster died due to bad food. He was 13 years old, a “senior cat”, and in hind-sight, had started to slow down over the last 6 months of his life. Our vet felt he had a lymphoma or leukemia type cancer. We didn’t pay for an autopsy.

I hear the news now about the tainted drywall from China that has been in many homes from 2004 to 2008, especially in Florida during the building boom. What a nightmare that must be for homeowners. Many people are reported to be sickened from living in these homes.

What’s a person to do? It is so hard to purchase anything today that doesn’t have “Made in China” label. I’ve been looking at this for several years. I’ve tried to attempt to buy things “Made is USA” and it seems almost impossible. I’m even willing to pay more money, but the items available seem slim.

This Christmas, again I’m going to attempt to find "Made in USA” items. One source is: http://www.madeinusa.org/

Another idea is just to give homemade items, like my artwork might be a good choice, but then I’m left wondering if my paints were “Made in China”….. is my artwork toxic?

On a positive note, I was happy to find some black metal frames, which I like to use, can be bought at Hobby Lobby and are "Made in USA".... but then again, who knows where the actual metal comes from.

1 comment:

  1. These are good ideas, something I haven't been thinking about. I will now.

    I do like the idea of homemade gifts, but as you say - the materials used to make them could be tainted.

    Yikes.

    ReplyDelete