Friday, October 16, 2009

Unsung hero

10-16-09 respectful brain
My Dad is a national hero, but I believe my Mother is our family hero! Mom has always been our patient, loving caregiver.... and to me, she has always made it look easy.

Even now, when Greg and I visit my parents, it’s Mom, age 81, who cooks for us good basic food which I find more satisfying than any restaurant. I always assumed that Mom liked cooking and being in the kitchen, but a few years ago she told me that cooking never came natural for her. Growing up she preferred being outside on the farm with my Grandpa or spending time with her pony rather than being in the kitchen with her Mother.



I can’t even begin to list the things my Mom has taught me and all the experiences she gently made sure I at least try: piano lessons, tap dancing, 4-H where she taught me to sew, bake pies, and refinishing furniture to name a few.




Many of my friends no longer have their mothers in their lives, so I know that I am truly blessed to still have my Mom with me. My sister and I are excited for this December when Mom and Dad will be celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary!

Sixty years putting up my Father.... now that is a BIG accomplishment. I believe my sister and I should give my mom a medal.

1 comment: