Monday, March 23, 2009

All moved into Leawood!

3-23-09 grateful brain
My prayer was answered on Saturday afternoon. Molly, Greg and I were out in the backyard late afternoon after cleaning and doing some shopping errands. Greg was on the cell phone talking to Molly’s husband who does lawn service, (Hunt’s Lawn Care) inquiring about doing the lawn mowing at the new KC house, then Greg won’t need to get a mower. Molly and I were commenting on the fact that half the backyard is concrete since you enter the garage by driving around to the back side of the house. Molly suggested that we would need to get a basketball hoop and THAT IDEA triggered the start of an “air basketball” game between Molly and I.

Molly was hammering me as usual since she is still quite a sports jock and I, only a cheerleader in high school, was not able to execute a successful defense against her. We soon had a spectator, kitty corner across the back fence…… this is when my prayer was answered…… I met a new neighbor friend! Her name is Jan and she offered us some lilies she was digging up in her backyard. “YES! I love lilies!”….. and soon the introductions and exchange of information lead us over to her backyard and I knew we were kindred spirits by the all the flowers, bird feeders, collectible rocks and her second offer of a house plant she wanted to adopt out. PLUS she is a cat person who only last year had to put her elderly diabetic cat to sleep. (sounds familiar huh?)….. it’s funny how people desire to connect with others with common interests. I’m a strong believer of *diversity…. but it is a comfort to find at least one person in this neighborhood whom I probably will be able to relate well with.

*ADDENDUM: diversity = knowing people who grew up with different experiences than I, or people who have different opinions about life than I do. (Clarification for Greg)




PS: Sunday the apartment furniture was moved in the morning and we were totally out of the apartment by noon. For some reason I was inspired to leave the apartment cleaner than when we moved in! My Mom and even friend Jean Ann would have been proud to witness all my efforts. Three more hours of work at the new house had us pretty well settled in and both Greg and I are left stiff, sore, and worn out!

No comments:

Post a Comment