Monday, March 9, 2009

Double edged sword

3-9-09 sleepy brain

It’s THAT time of year…. The time I both love and hate, simultaneously. Yes, spring is in the air! I heard the Cardinals and Robins singing this morning…. One of my favorite sounds after a long, silent winter.

But along with spring season’s gifts, also comes that dreaded time….. times two…… and I’m still trying to decide which on is the hardest on me!

#1 Daylight savings time begins (springing backwards an hour)
or
#2 Girl Scout Cookies

This weekend they arrived a rare conjunction, luckily for me, occurring every 10 years or so.

#1 Springing backwards an hour is hard on my body. After hibernating most of December, January, and February, I look foreword to the daylight beginning to lengthen and the morning sunlight actually starts to wake me up. I hate getting up in the dark since I’m not a morning person. I feel so wonderful this time of year when I can get up before my alarm clock. This starts happening in late February and early March…..Then the dreaded day comes when all the daylight we’ve gained in the morning is stripped away and put at the end of the day. It’s not like I can use that extra hour of light to do yard work in March….. that won’t happen for another month here in Iowa.

#2 I love the Thin Mints Girl Scout cookies! I don’t know why I let myself even buy them and some years I resist. But when my young neighborhood girls come knocking on my door, my heart melts and I HAVE to support them, as others have done for me when I was growing up. The challenge is to see how long I can make two boxes of Thin Mints last…… the problem being that once one of the long sleeve of cookies is open…… it “has to” get eaten.

Day one of their arrival: 1 of the 4 sleeves is now gone! ….. what can I say…. I felt sleep deprived and was looking for a boost of energy…… unfortunately when sugar is involved, that is only a temporary boost.

1 comment:

  1. Put them in the freezer. Then you can just take out 2 at a time :) The rest won't go stale. Consider it your self-control exercise. I'm reminded that the first two bites are the best; after that you don't even taste them. Well, maybe.

    ReplyDelete