Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The end of March madness

3-31-09 onward thinking brain
Last day of March: I was going to blog a summary of the month, but for some reason I don’t feel like revisiting the last 30 days. Not that it was such a bad month….. I have a sense of closure and completion on many fronts. My Dad is going better this month; Greg is moved out of the KC apartment and into a nice manageable house; Several house projects were accomplished at the DM house with the help of my nephew; all in all…. I guess I’m ready to look forward to April rather than to spend too much energy on reflection today.

I’m reminded of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, which I remember learning in nursing school. This month of March ends with my lower needs being met (for the moment) and I’m ready to deal with higher needs.




Diagram from Wikipedia

I’m ready to create some art, enjoy some nature, plan my garden, and contemplate the meaning of life and my purpose at this stage of life.

I remember well the last time I saw my father-in-law. Greg and I were visiting Ohio, October 1993, for Greg’s 10 year class reunion. Greg and I had been married only a year and I had only spent time with his dad, Albert, on a handful of occasions. Greg’s dad was suffering from pulmonary fibrosis and over the 3 years I knew him, he was pretty much home bound and on oxygen. As Greg and I were saying our goodbyes and heading back to Iowa, “Bert” rose out of his chair and wanted to pray for us. We stood in a circle holding hands along with Greg’s mother. I don’t remember all of the short prayer, but I remember the last words he spoke, telling Greg and I to…. “Glorify God with everything you do”.

I had never heard before in my Methodist upbringing that to “Glorify God” was a purpose of life. Greg’s dad was raised Amish, and was number 7 out of 14 brothers and sisters. Greg’s father and family have a wonderful strong faith, in which I have enjoyed learning about and learning from. Since that last time with Greg’s dad, from time to time, I have wondered IF the way I live my life and the activities I choose to do actually “Glorify God” …..

I think in the month of April I will take time to consider this again, along with creating some art, enjoying some nature, planing the garden and contemplating the meaning of life.

Greg’s Dad died 3 weeks after that Ohio visit and I’m grateful for the effort he took to pray with us, since today Bert still touches my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment